From Fiancé(e) To Forever: Your Ultimate Guide to the K-1 Visa Journey

Bringing your foreign fiancé to the U.S. typically involves the K-1 visa process. Here are the general steps you’ll need to follow:

  • File Petition (Form I-129F): As a U.S. citizen, you must first file a petition, Form I-129F, with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). This form establishes that you have a bona fide intention to marry and that you have met your fiancé in person within the last two years. You’ll need to provide evidence of your relationship, such as photographs, emails, or travel records.
  • Receive USCIS Approval: Once USCIS approves the petition, it is sent to the National Visa Center (NVC) for processing. USCIS will then send the approved petition to the U.S. embassy or consulate in the country where your fiancé resides.
  • Apply for a K-1 Visa: After the embassy or consulate receives the approved petition, your fiancé will be instructed to apply for a K-1 visa. This involves submitting additional documentation, undergoing a medical examination, and attending a visa interview.
  • Attend Visa Interview: Your fiancé must attend a visa interview at the U.S. embassy or consulate. During the interview, they will be asked questions about your relationship and their plans in the U.S.
  • Receive Visa Approval: If the visa is approved, your fiancé will receive a visa to travel to the U.S. The visa is usually valid for six months and allows a single entry into the country.
  • Travel to the U.S.: Once your fiancé arrives in the U.S., you must get married within 90 days of their entry. After the marriage, your spouse can apply for adjustment of status to become a permanent resident.
  • Adjustment of Status (Form I-485): After marriage, your spouse must file Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, to become a permanent resident. This process includes a comprehensive background check, fingerprinting, and an interview.

You can learn more about K-1 visas in this article.

What Documents Must Be Submitted With Form I-129F Application?

When filing Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé, you’ll need to submit supporting documentation to establish the legitimacy of your relationship and eligibility for the K-1 visa. The required documents typically include:

  • Evidence of U.S. Citizenship:
    • Copy of your U.S. passport
    • Copy of your birth certificate
    • Copy of your Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship
  • Form G-325A, Biographic Information:
    • Complete a G-325A form for both you and your fiancé. This form provides additional biographical information.
  • Passport Photos:
    • Passport-style photos of both you and your fiancé.
  • Proof of Meeting in Person:
    • Documentation proving that you and your fiancé have met in person within the last two years. This can include photographs, plane tickets, hotel receipts, or other evidence of your visits.
  • Proof of Relationship:
    • Letters, emails, or other forms of communication that demonstrate the authenticity of your relationship. Include evidence of your engagement, such as engagement photos or letters of intent to marry.
  • Affidavit of Support (Form I-134):
    • This form is a commitment from you to financially support your fiancé during their initial stay in the U.S. You’ll need to provide evidence of your income, such as tax returns and pay stubs.
  • Proof of Legal Termination of Previous Marriages:
    • If either you or your fiancé has been previously married, include documents such as divorce decrees or death certificates to prove that the previous marriages have been legally terminated.
  • Filing Fee:
    • Include the appropriate filing fee with your application. The fee is subject to change, so check the USCIS website for the most current information.
  • Form G-1145, E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance:
    • Optional form to request email or text notification when USCIS accepts your petition.

How To Fill Out Form I-129F?

Filling out Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé, involves providing accurate and complete information about yourself and your fiancé. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to fill out the form:

  • Download the Form:
    • Obtain the most recent version of Form I-129F from the official USCIS website.
  • Read the Instructions:
    • Carefully read the instructions provided with the form. The instructions provide important information on how to complete each section and what supporting documentation is required.
  • Provide Your Information (Petitioner):
    • Complete Part 1 with your personal information, including your full legal name, address, date of birth, place of birth, and other relevant details.
  • Provide Your Fiancé’s Information (Beneficiary):
    • Complete Part 2 with your fiancé’s personal information, including their full legal name, address, date of birth, place of birth, and other relevant details.
  • Details of Meeting:
    • In Part 3, provide details about how you and your fiancé met, including the date and location of your meeting.
  • Biographical Information (G-325A):
    • If applicable, complete Form G-325A with biographical information for both you and your fiancé. This includes details about your employment, address history, and other background information.
  • Employment and Income Details (Part 4):
    • Complete information about your employment and income in Part 4. This includes your current employer, occupation, and annual income.
  • Marital History (Part 5):
    • Provide information about your marital history, including whether you or your fiancé have been married before. If applicable, include details about the legal termination of previous marriages.
  • Intent to Marry (Part 6):
    • Complete information about your intent to marry within 90 days of your fiancé’s entry into the U.S. Include details about the planned wedding ceremony.
  • Affidavit of Support (Form I-134):
    • Provide the necessary information for Form I-134, Affidavit of Support. This includes details about your income and financial ability to support your fiancé.
  • Sign and Date:
    • Sign and date the form where required.
  • Include Supporting Documents:
    • Include all required supporting documents, such as photographs, proof of meeting, evidence of relationship, and financial documentation.
  • Review and Check for Accuracy:
    • Before submitting the form, carefully review all information to ensure accuracy and completeness.
  • Submit the Form:
    • Mail the completed Form I-129F, along with all required supporting documents and the filing fee, to the address specified in the instructions.

Also Read: The Digital Revolution: How Technology is Transforming Online Slots

Tech Gloss
Tech Gloss is a site dedicated to publishing content on technology, business news, Gadget reviews, Marketing events, and the apps we use in our daily life. It's a great website that publishes genuine content with great passion and tenacity.